Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Things just keep gettin' mo' awesome.

Today I auditioned for Cirque Du Soleil.

Like for real. I did so on the recommendation of a friend who teaches for Cirque in Tokyo (Thanks Paul!) and I figured, why the heck not?!

I completed the online application, sent in a demo reel and waited. Two weeks later I received an invitation to audition.

The audition began at 9am today at the Alvin Ailey School downtown. The audition consisted of several group exercises, and movement pieces that were too much fun. After the group stuff, each performer (there were 25-30) had to perform a 2 minute silent piece. The senior artistic talent scout selected a few auditionees to coach/direct after their 2 min pieces, and I was one of them.
At noon all but 9 were let go. There were 8 guys left, and ME!!!

After our lunch break we resumed with group exercises. After the group work we were put into pairs for scene work and clowning, and then performed those pieces. After the duo portion of the audition he called individuals and pairs up to perform parts of various Cirque shows.

I was asked to play the famed lady bug in Ovo.

I seriously had a blast. I mean, at that point the only one I was competing against was myself so it was a win/win situation. After everyone performed we were sent into the hallway so the panel could deliberate. The casting agent came into the hallway and said three names.

And one of them was MINE!!!

After the rest of the group was dismissed we were asked back into the audition room and did some on camera Q&A, then we were dismissed at 4PM. Before I left the senior artistic talent scout grabbed me and said that he loved me, gave me his information and said that he sees me in Cirque. He gushed and I blushed. I mean when you have a man like THAT say such nice things (and in a French accent) I couldn't help but feel like I was floating.

So what happens next? I'm so glad you asked. Well he will take the footage they shot of the whole day back to Montreal to show to the top people. We could potentially be cast at any time, in any show. In the meantime I wait. I wait and laugh at the embarrassment of riches that is my life.

Things just keep gettin' mo awesome.

1 comment:

Aparna said...

DEES MAKUH MEE SHO HEPPY!